[Public-list] Bottom Job

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Jan 20 10:26:50 PST 2005

I did a bit of research on this for a few years before deciding to do this
to Infinity #57.
She had developed small blisters or actually surface blisters on the
gelcoat.  Most popped over the time she was out of the water.
In the meantime I had researched the idea of barrier coating & had found
out a few things.
1. Infinity had been barrier coated back in the late 70s or early 80s with
a product that had not lasted.
2. Barrier coats last approximately 10 years. Period!
3. If you want to further prevent blistering take your boat out of the
water annually.

Now I have no idea about this extra level of effort that George is talking
about but I will say this about Infinity's bottom job last year:
Took off years of paint with 23 grit random orbit sander - took 2 months
of 2 day weekends.
Tried 2 techniques for filling blisters instead of doing a peel:
1. coat whole section with epoxy & microballoons-left too may bubbles not
effective.
2. Fill & fair with trowel - much more effective but took longer to fill.
Took less time to sand fair.
Following filling & cure time I faired the hull to 100 grit with random
orbit sander. Then roll & tipped on 6 coats of Interlux Barrier coat
product. Faired this to 100 grit then rolled & tipped 2 coats of
Baltoplate (racing finish) & burnished this first to 300 then to 600 grit.
Nice fast bottom.

As for future blisters -- 10 years I hope!
--
C.B. Currier
cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Spin RX