[Public-list] Ice in the Bilge

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 30 07:27:50 PST 2005

Todd,
As a precaution, when I am stored on the hard outside where it will reach freezing temperatures I always pour about two gallons of the anti freeze West Marine sells for heads and holding tanks down into the bilge.  Removal of the engine intake hose is also a good idea as the bilge will only fill up to that point.  Two gallons of this anti freeze should get you thru the winter even if diluted by water entering the bilge on occasion.  I have never trusted the tarp alone to keep the water out.  The anti freeze solution is a reasonable backup insurance.

 If you fancy installing another thru hull then a bilge drain is your real problem solver.  Make certain that you have limber holes that are adequate to drain all separate compartments into the bilge.

Michael

Todd Redhead <todd.redhead at sympatico.ca> wrote:
Here's the report on the ice in the bilge.

I've removed about 90 % of the ice. I heated the cabin right up with a
space heater and a couple of propane heaters. I also used a liquid ice
melting product that is based on calcium I think. The rest of the work was
done with a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer. It worked well but was
hard work. It did take me about 6 hours to get most of the ice out. Once I
got the batteries out of the way it was a lot easier. I do have a couple of
questions though...

My bilge seems to have two levels - one level under the floor boards and
then a lower level that is accessed through what looks like a round plastic
screw in type of deck port - about 5" accross. It is down in this hole that
the bilge pump sits. This is also the area that still has a bit of ice -
I've been using hot water down that hole which really eats away at the ice
fast. Does everyone have this type of setup?

2nd .... There appears to have been some hull expansion - on both sides of
the hull on the outside a patch of antifouling paint has popped off. The
area is in the approx. place where the lower bilge area is located inside.
To the eye - the sides do not look bulged - the patches are about 6" square.
Again to my eye, the hull does not looked cracked, it just expanded enough
to pop the paint off. Any suggestions about this situation? Should I bring
someone in to look at it - or just wait till spring then look for cracks
myself? Does the hull have enough 'flex' in it to withstand this type of
movement?

Tomorrow, I go to install more conduit hoops to prevent this from happening
again.

Todd