[Public-list] Nice wooden spar available for someone's boat

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 19 16:11:10 PDT 2005

Hello,
I have salvaged a wooden spar from a boatyard in Ft. Myers, FL.  The spar is now located in Indianapolis, IN  I thought that I would post on this list because many of you have owned wooden boats in the past.  Some of you may still own wooden Folkboats.

I would like to receive $250.00 for this spar to help recover some of my costs and to replace the bronze turnbuckles that I would have removed to use on my Seafarer.  This mast needs to be back on a boat and not made into a flag pole!   I can take digital photos to send to anyone who has an interest in giving this spar a good home.  Thank you.  Description of the spar follows.

Sincerely,
Michael    A-133

Solid Wood Spar Description

Wooden spar appears to have been made from a single piece of Spruce or perhaps Douglas Fir. The spar is solid (not hollow) and does not appear to be laminated anywhere. Originally varnished and now painted white with traces of varnish underneath. Condition is good with some minor weathering but no rot or raised grain. All fittings are Bronze with the exception of a single #15 Barlow winch and the lower 24" of external sail track, which is Stainless Steel. This is a keel-stepped mast using a 1-1/4" by 5" tang by 2-1/4" deep. The butt fits fore and aft into the keelson. The lower section of the mast is 3-1/2" by 5" rectangular and remains so up to 5’ above the butt. From then on the corners are rounded to achieve an oval (racetrack) shape. There are two sets of shroud hounds and there does not seem to have been any spreaders, diamonds or jumper stays used in the standing rigging. I also have all the standing rigging with bronze turnbuckles at lower ends. Mast is fitted with an external
 ¾" wide sail track, which is 27’7-1/2" long, the lower 24" added in Stainless Steel.

All the following measurements are upwards from the mast butt.

   Top of step tang: 2-1/2"
   Lower line of putty (inside of cabin?): 48"
   Upper line of putty (outside of cabin?): 4’ 9"
   End of mast rectangular section: 5’
   Gooseneck: 6’ 5-1/2"
   Lower end of sail track : 6’ 10-1/2"
   Lower set of shroud hounds: 28’ 8-3/4" Mast circumference is 1’ 2-1/2" at this point.
   Upper set of shroud hounds: 34’ 2" Mast circumference is 11" at this point.
   Upper end of sail track: 34’ 5-1/2"
   Main sheave axle: 34’ 11"
   Top of mast: 35’ 7-1/2"

Contact: Michael Connolly, 706 East 81st. Street, Indianapolis, IN 46240, Tele: 317-253-7351 or crufone at sbcglobal.net