[Public-list] rudder vibrations

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 18 16:26:07 PDT 2005

Under sail the tiller should feel smooth. Grab the bottom
of the rudder and yank it hard side to side, there should
be no movement. I don't know how cold the water is in
Puget sound, but it's not hard to do surface diving. I'm
betting sheared off pintle, or very baggy gudgeon.

While you are at it, have someone swing the tiller back
and forth while looking at the 'crack' between the rudder
and the deadwood of the keel. That will tell you if the
rudder post is bent. Might need air for that , though.

Michael Grosh