[Public-list] Engine alignment question

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 08:56:39 PDT 2005

Hello Fellow Albergers,

Ugh....End of July is no time to be installing an engine in a  hot, Mass
boatyard, but circumstances beyond my control have put me here.  Oh well.

How do 'we' determine the actual shaft position for alignment purposes,  with
that flexible stuffing box hose allowing the shaft to slop around a half
inch to either side and up and down? Has anyone developed a good technique, or
even a neat trick to do this reasonably easily and accurately?

What is the size hose, and method of choice for replacing the hose of the
flexible stuffing box?

Of the two bolts that secure the cutlass bearing housing to the hull, the
lower bolt is stripped on Stargazer. It was that way when we bought the boat. Of
 course, I only found that out the first time I removed the housing. I've
been  setting the bolt in 3M5200 when reseating the housing, and that seems to
work,  but if someone can recommend a good, doable method for restoring the
thread, I  would do it.

Think of me while you are sailing. :)

Thx,
Lee