[Public-list] Rigging Questions

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 21 21:55:25 PDT 2005

Well one last thing to get me sailing............  The halyard is jammed in the sheave and after 2 attempts to free it using a crane, the mast has to come off.  Of course now the mast has to come off I am looking at other things.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following questions.

1) The single sheave may best be improved by a new mast head with double sheaves built in.  I found some references in earlier posts suggesting that this is the best way to go.  Is anyone aware of a manufacturer familiar with the dimensions etc for one suitable for the original alberg mast extrusion.

2) I may elect to fix up the single sheave arrangement.  Are these sheaves readily available?

3) Ruthless has the original wood spreaders which I assume are mahagony.  They need replacing.  They have been on the boat since 1967 so they are obviously up to the job.  Any thoughts on comparing wood vs aluminum spreaders?  What aluminum spreader design are best suited?

Thanks

Mick