[Public-list] Rigging Questions

Michael Grosh dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jul 22 04:06:01 PDT 2005

>2) I may elect to fix up the single sheave arrangement.  >Are these sheaves
>readily available?

Your halyard almost certainly has jumped off the sheave and into between the
cheekplate and the sheave. Depending on how hard the halyard has been yanked
on after jumping off,  it's possible to get things straight by bosun chair.
there is an aluminum plate above the sheave assembly that is removed (it's
held in place with sheet metal screws I think), then you futz with the wire.

The fix is to drill and tap for a machine bolt (with locking nut) into the
mast adjacent to the cheek plate. If your main halyard winch is on the port
side, then the port side is best- the whole problem starts by not having the
halyard leading straight up the center of the mast. Anyway, you then screw
in the bolt until the cheekplate is forced against the sheave; then lock the
affair in place with the lock nut that you have remembered to put first on
the bolt.

Been there, done that.
Michael Grosh