[Public-list] boom track on the mast

Patty J Timbuktu5555 at webtv.net
Sun Jul 31 17:40:25 PDT 2005

Hey guys,
I got caught in a big ass squall on Mobile Bay, 50 plus winds, thursday
night and found out today that my boom track...the 12 inch track  got
bent in half.  Any suggestions other than having to take it off and
having a machinist make a replacement for it?

The storm/the thursday night fun race on Mobile bay, Alabama:

Of course, the engine would not start right after I realized we were in
trouble and turned into the wind...had the 155 up and full main. The
batteries failed during the fiasco, crew  (2) becoming paralyzed with
fear, finally got the sails down, just us girls, you know, but I was
proud about my Alberg...had the helm turned all the way into the fierce
roaring wind, and I mean it was roaring when it hit us, like a thousand
lions.  One of my crew was up there trying her doggonist to pull in the
jib(155%), tugging on the sheets, which only healed us over more.  Me
yelling, "Let the sheet go!"  while the other was trying to pull the
dagnabbit thing down.  Impossible.  Meanwhile the boat is healing over
more and more with the wind and the fact that they were trying to put
the jib down under all that pressure.  I was almost hoping the boat
would go over, just to see it right itself again.  I know, that's
probably not a good thing to wish for, but I did.  Finally Meredith let
go of the jib sheet and down the jib came and then the main.  Which, we
had know idea until today there was any damage to.
I finally got the engine started with one of those emergency starter
battery things which I highly recommend to have onboard.  Then we made
our wild wave surfing, lightning everywhere, surf crashing over our safe
way back to the yacht club in lil'  old Fairhope, Al.

First time in something like that in an Alberg and I was very proud of
it!
.
Patty
Timbuktu 461