[Public-list] Hull Drying

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 18 10:44:15 PDT 2005

Thanks Todd - We may have the same problem.  I learned
a trick (though didnt try it) from a guy who ran
aground recently in large powerboat.  He noticed
dripping from the fibreglass and had a method to draw
it out.

 A sheet of mylar is sealed with a window insulation
compound to the affected area.  A plastic through hull
is inserted through the mylar and with an appropriate
fitting connected to the suction end of an air
compressor.  Drawing about 25 inches of mercury he was
able to stop the fibreglass dripping after a few hours
of operation.  He went on to repair the damaged area
and replace the gel coat.  Seemed like an innovative
solution and stopped him hanging around on the hard
stand for a while.

Thanks again.

Mick #231