[Public-list] Engine alignment question

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Sun Jul 24 12:57:58 PDT 2005

Lee,

Since the stern tube has been removed from the boat, I would suggest taking
the entire assembly over to Scandia Propeller in Fairhaven. My replacement
stern tube is 1 1/2 O.D. which is tied to a PSS Dripless Stuffing box. This
eliminates all of the hose problems and stuffing box adjustments. It is
cheap money when you have Yanmar or Volvo imprinted on your chest after
leaning over the motor. Also concerning the alignment when I talked to the
Yanmar Dealer concerning the best method, he stated "use your knee and give
it good shot". It should settle into the correct place.

When I installed the new shaft and cutlass this year, I did a rough
alignment in the center of the stern tube prior to final assembly with the
PSS unit. It seemed to get me close with .008 in. Then the final alignment
was done in the water.

Also concerning the threads being stripped in the hull. Purchase a bar of
wax and coat the threads. Once that is done mix up a batch of epoxy thicken
with Cabosil or walnut shells. Fill in the current hole and place the bolt
into the epoxy. The wax acts as a mold release and the bolt can be removed
within 12-24 hours then let it cure.

Good luck, not an easy job.

Stephen