[Public-list] Re: Northwest mainsail reef percentages?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Tue Jun 14 10:49:56 PDT 2005

Greetings,
    I'm having a new mainsail made (North Sails, around $2200) and am
needing to make a final decision about placement of reef points.  Any
thoughts?

    The sales rep describes 15% and 33% as typical, but says going for 33%
and 50% would do a more certain job of it.  (15% and 50% is also possible at
now extra charge.)

    I don't recall what I have now, but thought I'd try asking to see if any
of you old salts have recommendations.  This is for sailing in the Pacific
NW, Bellingham to North Vancouver Island.

    Many Thanks,

Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham, WA.