[Public-list] Pete's Tank Volume

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Tue Jun 28 09:16:16 PDT 2005

Pete, one observation about the shape of the tank;  ie an inverted
pyramid.  The first few gallons move the water level up an inch or more
while the last few gallons only about a 1/4".   I used to think my tank
only held about 18 gallons until I kept adding more one gallon jugs.  It
seems to just keep taking more water even when it looks pretty full
through the inspection port.  The last couple of inches below the top of
the inspection opening may hold five gallons or more.  Just keep in mind
that when it gets that full,   you better have a pretty good seal around
the top and opening port.  Good Luck

By the way Gord,  I cannot claim full ownership of the tank gauge concept.
 Many years ago I was tooling around my neighborhood in my Boston Wailer
skiff and was invited aboard one of those hideous Amel's for cocktails.
This boat had what looked to be an OEM setup with a float gauge (not
unlike those you see on rural water towers) rising up the companionway
bulkhead.  The concept was elegant, however the execution left something
to be desired.  That was the only thing on the entire boat that was worth
a damn other than the hospitality, but I digress.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest #433
Mobjack Bay