[Public-list] Toe Rail Replacement &Hull/deck Joint

Jim & Carole barchettamia at pinelink.org
Sun Jun 26 06:35:31 PDT 2005

>>Dear Alberg Owners,
>>

>> It has been almost a year since I have have been active in the the online list or the Association. We lost everything we owned in a fire that swept through our condo at 3:00 Am last November. Included in the loss were the (4) Alberg  40th. Anniversary T-shirts we had received in the mail 2 days prior. Also lost on my old computer was an archive of emails I created sorted by category ie.(toe rail, rigging, cutlass bearing, etc.)

 I am about to replace my toe and taffrail. The toe rail had been
repaired several times over the years, mostly with epoxy and filler.
Last year Hurricane Bonnie caused enough damage to warrant replacement.
Furthermore the Deck / Hull joint has leaked for some time.  Can someone
please advise as to the best or easeist way to remove the toe  rail. I
thought of drilling out the plugs and exposing the bolts but someone
once wrote about grinding off the bolts by grinding thru the rail and
then , I assume , driving the bolts thru the deck with a punch. Could
someone please elborate?

Has anyone had experience replacing the taffrail?
I would also appreciate any advise on repairing the deck/hull seam. From
what I recall from past emails it involves drilling out the alum rivets
and replacing with #10 bolts. I was thinking of using 5200 on seam. I
wonder if I will be able to separate the seam to remove the existing
adhesive.  How much seam I should open at a time?

Finally, at one time I was able to access an archive of all emails from
the past. I don't recall how I did it or if its still available.  May be
this a question for George.

Thanks to in everyone advance.
Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia #565