[Public-list] Toe Rail Replacement &Hull/deck Joint

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Jun 26 09:20:29 PDT 2005

Jim & Carole wrote:
> Furthermore the Deck / Hull joint has leaked for some time.  Can someone
> please advise as to the best or easeist way to remove the toe  rail. I
> thought of drilling out the plugs and exposing the bolts but someone
> once wrote about grinding off the bolts by grinding thru the rail and
> then , I assume , driving the bolts thru the deck with a punch. Could
> someone please elborate?

There's no reason why you can't break the existing toerail at the bolts
and cut the heads off.  You can still salvage the teak between the bolts
for creating wooden plugs and for other small repairs.

> Has anyone had experience replacing the taffrail?

Take a look at
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/TaffrailReplacement/ and
you'll find some photos I took when I replaced the taffrail.

Sorry I've never found the time to organize them into a web page.  If
you wouldn't mind writing up a text description of the process, I'd be
glad to turn it into a web page.  You can just put the filenames of
photos (mine or yours or a combination, your choice) in parenthesis
where you'd like them to appear.

> I would also appreciate any advise on repairing the deck/hull seam. From
> what I recall from past emails it involves drilling out the alum rivets
> and replacing with #10 bolts. I was thinking of using 5200 on seam. I
> wonder if I will be able to separate the seam to remove the existing
> adhesive.  How much seam I should open at a time?

The hull deck joint, at least on the newer boats, was sealed by laying a
strip of wet glass mat between them, providing a weak but waterproof
fiberglass joint.  I chose to clean out any suspicious looking places
with a screwdriver (as a chisel) from the outside and forcing 5200 into
the seam.  I also bedded the #10 flathead screws with 5200.  I used
loctite green on the nuts, because I didn't think of it until after they
were installed.  If I were to do it over, I'd use nylock nuts, instead.

I bedded the teak, itself, with 4200.

> Finally, at one time I was able to access an archive of all emails from
> the past. I don't recall how I did it or if its still available.  May be
> this a question for George.

There are message archives
(http://www.alberg30.org/pipermail/public-list/) going back to April
2004.  The easiest way to find something is probably by using the
site-wide search box found on most pages of the website.  That merely
uses Google to search the site, but includes the email archives.  But
always look at http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/ for photos,
too, as Google can't easily index those.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash