[Public-list] prop and elec questions

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 29 10:33:22 PDT 2005

dan walker wrote:

>i have asked the electric propulsion guru to let me know how long to sail at three knots to recharge the batteries in the setup i am considering.
>he threw back some questions that i do not have answers to at my fingertips.
>at what engine rpm will our boats with the two blade prop move at three knots,and what is the largest diameter prop we can put on an alberg.
>appreciate responses.
>thanks
>dan
>rascal 145

Dear Dan,
             13" diameter is the largest prop size for the Alberg 30.
Speed performance relative to Engine RPM depends on a number of factors,
not least of which is Prop pitch. Having said that my new Sole 26HP
diesel with a 13x9.5 prop is running 3 knots at about 1000 rpm. I was
getting 6.5 knots at 2500 the other day.Propcalc which is availible from
the Alberg30 site confirmed what the experts told me about sizing my
prop to the engine. They appear to have been correct!. Regards Jonathan
Whittingham.