[Public-list] Deck Beam Reinforcement Cost

SwiftLaw at aol.com SwiftLaw at aol.com
Thu Jun 30 10:49:26 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/30/2005 1:39:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
palblackburn at att.net writes:

Hi all  -

Just bought Sea Dance #43 in San Diego.  The first thing on a  long list of
tasks is reinforcing the deck beam.  I ordered a set from  RCI Waterjet in
Ontario, Canada, and the total price was $257.68 for the  beams/tax + $58.00
in shipping and importation fees for a total of $315.68,  so even though the
initial cost is lower than the other supplier in  Maryland, the shipping (at
least to the west coast) evens it out.

Is  it preferable to unstep the mast during the mast beam repair or doesn't
it  matter?

Also, when performing this repair the website suggests putting  the base of
the jack below the floor boards on the keel so that the force  doesn't damage
the sole.  However, on my boat immediately below the  beam is a small step
into the V berth.  To mount the jack in the bilge  under the beam one would
either need to (1) disassemble the sole or (2)  build a platform of sorts
with foundations going into the bilge between the  head and locker and the
exposed curve of the hull on either side of the  sole in the V-berth.  Any
experience with this  situation?

Thanks -

Paul

Paul for my measely 2 cents -- I performed this repair on my #222 two years
ago. I folowed the instructions on the web site exactly right  down to having
the aluminum plates sent from Maryland where they have the  tremplate.  We
solved the jack problem with a makeshift platform and took  10 days to turn the
jack a bit each day untill all the doors were flush again.  Easy does it.

Key feature was finding the right 1/4 inch drill bit and a certainty that
the drill has enough good torque. We used a strong 10" long bit called the
"penertator" to drill clean holes after the plates had been epoxied into perfect
position.  Ten 1/4 inch through bolts with hex nuts and she is as  strong as
ever if not more so.

As to the mast, we were unstepped at the time and it just seems prudent and
easier to assure positioning if she is unstepped.  Good luck with your new
Alberg 30 and happy sailing

Tom Swift
"Wicked"