[Public-list] electric repower, steam and diesel smell

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Thu Jun 9 03:31:27 PDT 2005

>I suppose if we
>wanted the maximum in power, we would be like the >railways and go to diesel
>-electric. GM make the big ones just down the road from >here in London, Ont. an
>we could sink a boat easily with one of those.

2 cycle EMD's (electro motive diesel). Another reason GM
is reduced to junk bond status. They are suffering the
same fate as gas engines before they discovered catalyctic
converters in the late '70's. GM's solution is computer
controls that need to be kept in air conditioning. Lose
AC, lose engine. I work around them all the time (the
diesel part, anyway).

I believe the reason railroads use electric drive are
torque issues-an electric develops max torque just before
stall, so it's good for chuffing up a mountain without
dealing with gear changing. Not really an issue on
sailboats.

Michael Grosh