[Public-list] Boat Stands

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 3 06:44:12 PST 2005

George:
   If you use jack stands make sure they are securely chained or cabled
together, bottom and top. I would suggest a plank under the keel in both a
paved lot or a field and a sheet of 3/4" ply under the jack stand on the
grass  to avoid soft ground allowing  things move.
    You might also want to consider the system that the builder used for
Alberg 22s when he ran out of both stands and cradles. He built a cross from
two 2 X 8s so that the transverse piece would be about 10 feet for an AL30 and
a 12 or 14 foot piece for the longitudinal one. The crossmember was below the
longitudinal  one and  fastened (bolted) so that it was centred directly below
the centre chainplates. Then a 2 x 4 was set on the crossmember and bolted
through the chainplate with a 1/2 x 4 or 5 inch carriage bolt as needed
(available from TSC stores )  for both sides. Threaded rod and washers will do
if you can't find long enough bolts.  The base of the 2 x 4 was then secured
to the crossmember with a triangular gusset of 3/4" plywood and  doubleheaded
nails if you can find them so that you may pull them easily without destroying
the gusset when you dismantle the system. For a 30, you might want to use 2 x
10 rather than 2 x 8 and 4 x 4 rather than the 2 x 4 and 6 or 7 inch bolts
with a J hook on the one end since the orientation of the chainplates is
different on the 22 and 30 for the chainplates. You may find something that
works for this at a farm tire shop if they have bolts for duals on farm
tractors. If not take some ready rod that will fit through the eye in the
chainplate to the welding shop and heat one end and bend one in.  This system
held a hull upright on pavement  with no further support from stands and is
secure enough for the 22 that one could work on the hull. I would not want to
have the mast up with this or with Jack stands! If you are on a grassy field,
use some sort of barrier coat on the lower side of the planks to avoid wet and
rotting planks. (Fence posts rot when water, soil and oxygen meet.)