[Public-list] Lifesling

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Mar 21 15:40:09 PST 2005

Meinhold, Michael J wrote:
> We need to replace our throwable float. I have seen the LifeSling on a
> number of Albergs. Would anyone be able to answer a few questions about
> them?
>
> What are the benefits of a hard case vs soft case?
>
> Has anyone actually hauled someone aboard with one of these?
>
> Where would one attach for a hoist?

The soft cases rot out in the sun.  Ours is only 10 years old, too.

I've never actually used it, but we did see a live demonstration at a
Safety-At-Sea seminar one March.  Those are well worth the price of
admission.  Ask Harry Gamber about them.

Use the main halyard to hold the upper end of the tackle.  You need to
get the person high enough to get them on board.  The boom might work if
you drop the lifelines.

You also need to work out a fair lead to a winch.  You're not likely to
manhandle a dead weight back on board, and many times (especially if the
water is cold) the victim won't be able to offer any help.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash