[Public-list] topping lift

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Mar 30 06:44:34 PST 2005

Good point - I forgot to mention that.  We have a large snap shackle on the
lower end of the main sheet so that it is quickly released.  That way we can
dump the main halyard to take the power out of it, release the shackle and
swing the boom outboard.  The shackle and mainsheet hanging off the boom
then become a lifting crane or davit to help get someone aboard.

Once we used that setup to get off a sand bar.  We flooded the dinghy,
attached the mainsheet to a bridle on it and tried to lift it.  Of course
the boat just heeled over and off we went.  Seamanship manuals suggest using
an anchor, which works, but you have to stop and get the anchor... By using
the dink you can bring your 'anchor' with you and skeddadle away from the
scene of your embarrassment much quicker.

Gord #426 Surprise