[Public-list] how do you back this darn thing up?

James Schueler jschueler at familyempowerment.org
Wed May 11 07:13:43 PDT 2005

Hello all.

Having sailed my Alberg last year I am fairly familiar with the problems
that seem to exist when attempting to steer a short course in reverse.
It doesn't appear that it responds well to the rudder, at best; at
worst, there have been times when I've had the boat headed in the
opposite direction to that which I was steering (in reverse). My problem
is this: I am not at a mooring this year as I was last year. I now have
to back the boat into a rather narrow slot between two pilings which
puts the stern to the dock and enables us to get off. However, it's
tough to say the least. I tried 6 times yesterday before I was able to
get it into the slip. I'd put it in reverse and the boat would just back
up in any direction it wanted, no matter that I was guiding it with the
rudder. A whole season of this is going to be a pain in the neck. Any
advice?

James Schueler
'Oddyseus' #170