[Public-list] Thanks to Daniel Sternglass

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Wed May 25 09:12:15 PDT 2005

Thanks for the commentary, Daniel-- worthwhile food for thought.

Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham
###################################
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:27:19 -0400
From: Daniel Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>
Subject: [Public-list] An observation on the "user fees" discussion

A30 people,

Sorry to go off on a politicl tangent, just push <ignore> if you want...

Here's a recent article that (in effect) explains why gas is so cheap in
the US. The notion of "user fees" for many public services is a myth.
Take the highways, for example... Roads tolls represent just a miniscule
part of the operating costs of the interstate highway system.

This year's federal highway appropriation is nearly $300 billion!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/highway_spending

In round numbers, that's roughly $1,000 apiece for every man, woman and
child in the US, all paid out of general revenues...

If the average gas consumption per driver is 20 gallons a week (1000
gallons a year), assuming 100 million drivers, that works out to **$3.00
a gallon** for highways, collected as part of the income tax.

That's one of the main reasons that gas is well over $5.00 a gallon in
most of Europe, and more in countries where more is imported. ($7.50
where my sister lives, in London). They recover all the road costs from
user fees, collected as gas tax. Think that would fly in this country?
Most people don't understand where the *real* gas tax is "hidden."

If one believe that everyone is served by good highways, this is a fair
system. One might say rich or poor, your oranges are trucked across the
country. Also, it's a progressive tax, since it's part of the income
tax. A similar argument is made about funding the the air traffic
control system...

Personally, I feel that all Americans served by the federal system of
collecting and disseminating weather data -- The NOAA and NWS serve a
very broad-based public interest in my opinion. Amateur marine
navigation is but a tiny part of it.

I think carving this up for the profit of the few is just plain old
greed, especially since the Accu-Weathers of the world could never begin
to pay the cost of operating the weather data collection infrastrcuture.
JMHO.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com