[Public-list] Greymarine engines

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 19:16:34 PDT 2005

John and Peggy,
Not to worry. You must be 'looking in all the wrong places'. The grey marine engine is actually a Continental engine.  Continental has or had manufacturing plants in both Detroit and Muskegeon, Michigan. They are still in business making industrial engines. I have been told that most tune up parts are available at Autoparts stores.  I have a reference to a fellow who I believe is located in Erie, PA who is the Greymarine guru and has many parts in stock.  He is the equivalent of Moyer Marine for the A-4 people.  This reference is in Indpls and I am to travel up to Indy later this week and can send it to you.

A stuck valve in an L-head engine is not all that uncommon.  Sea foam or mystery oil might work, but if the valve guide is worn out then you will need to do a mechanical repair.  I have a Grey engine in my boat and it runs just fine.  I see no need to repower to a more modern power plant.

Michael #133

John and Peggy Sauerwald <jpsauerwald at comcast.net> wrote:
Have a Greymarine engine (cira 1964) in my Alberg 30 #39. Having problems right now with a stuck open exhaust valve in # 3 cylinder. Got suggestion to drain oil & fill with transmission fluid-run for about an hour- then try to tap valve back down. Then fill & drain with motor oil X2. Does this jive with anyone else's experiences or knowledge?

Also am desperately seeking a manual,specs, location of parts & supplies for this engine. Have called several places and they have laughed & went on to tell me that I am not alone in my quest but "Sorry I can't help you" One women suggested I form an association of greymarine owners who can get together & cry in our beers as one. As it looks like the head may have to come off, I'm going to need more than a few beers.

Any help here would be more than appreciated. I live in Brighton , Mi. & dock the boat in Sarnia, Canada on Lake Huron.