[Public-list] Canvas Tarps/Winterizing Tip

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Fri Nov 18 07:55:27 PST 2005

Several years ago I purchased a heavy canvas tarp from an internet vendor
at www.tarps.com.  They come in various colors, sizes, and grades.  I
think I paid about $80 for one that reached from the mast to the aft stay.
 I then cut the width on both sides to match the beam shape,  sewed a seam
back into the cut edges and placed grommets where needed.  Set up as a
boom tent, it can be pulled very tight at various points along the genoa
track,  shroud bases, winches, cleats, etc.  It has held up well for the
last few winters with the boat in the water and I am sure some brisk
winter winds.

Regarding a question posed about a quick winterizing method that allows
use of the boat during the winter.  I have installed a "T" and ball valve
in the pressurized water line going to the galley sink.  This branch
attaches to another "T" fitting in the engine raw water intake line.
During the season I use this valve to flush fresh water into the raw water
cooled BMW diesel on Quest after each use.  By simply turning off the raw
water intake value, and opening the fresh water ball valve I pump fresh
water through the engine.  To avoid pressurizing the engine water pump,  I
also keep the sink valve upon to bleed off any excess water pressure.
During the winter I put a few extra gallons of the pink stuff in the water
tank after I have winterized the fresh water system.  If I subsequently
take the boat out,  it's simply a matter of flushing the engine as I do
during the season,  only now with additional antifreeze.  This system can
also be used force back pressure out the raw water intake if it gets
lightly clogged.