[Public-list] On Replacing the Chainplate bolts

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 19:12:07 PST 2005

Hello my Alberg 30 Friends,

I've been thinking about this job for a while. There is no sign of movement
at any of Stargazer's chainplates, but just about all of the bolts have lots
of  red streaks bleeding from them, with no signs of water coming through the
deck.  I take this as a sign that the SS is aging, and that is the main reason
I am  thinking of tackling this job. That, and the testimonials of those of
you who  have done it.

Did you drill out the chainplates to the 5/16's hole size with the
chainplates in place, or take the chainplates off to do the drilling out? I'd  like to
do it in place, doing one bolt at a time, while the remaining bolts hold  the
chainplate in place.

Did you just go to a 5/16's bit, or go up to the larger hole in steps, by
32nds, or 64ths, or ........ 128ths :)

Are there any special techniques to make sure the new hole is on the same
center as the old hole, so the position of the chainplate does not move?

Anyone do this job on an old hull (Stargazer is #255), and if so, any  tricks
you had to do?

I'm going to try to buy the bolts locally. (New Bedford, Mass) I have seen
the references to using shanked bolts, and will look for them. Is there a
particular grade of SS that is strongest/ best for this application?

Anything else I should be asking? :)

I'm not looking forward to this one.

Thx,
Lee