[Public-list] New Owner Questions

John Boor 5thseason at canada.com
Tue Nov 8 06:29:38 PST 2005

> Peter.
I have used both varnish. Epoxy and Urathane on 380 and have
had good luck with all.  My first adventure was Urathane
over a Mahogany stain this looks great but touch up with
Varathane can leave streaks if temp to hot  My next
adventure was with a stain and West system clear epoxy this
leaves a hard durable finish but is hard to apply due to
long setup time and the epoxy running, on my toe rail I
applied this over oil based stain and later found out that
the epoxy will not bind to the oil stain only to a water
based stain so be aware.  My last is varnish over correctly
applied epoxy this has given me a good solid base to apply
the varnish to and I have found that the finish is as sooth
as silk and after a light sanding with 180 grid new varnish
brings back the finish.  I do this each spring and takes no
more than an hour.  I do not like the orange finish Cetol
give and refuse to use this on my boat.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380