[Public-list] Holding Tank

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Nov 8 11:54:49 PST 2005

Peter,

Welcome to Albergland.  I have been restoring #148 for thee years (and two
hip replacements) and, after filling several hundred large and small holes,
I just got the topsides (dark blue) and deck (white w/ "mushroom" no slip)
painted.  I raised the main bunks (and added large drawers under) and galley
counter.  Diesel is back in after paint, hoses, SS exhaust and lining engine
compartment with barium impregnated vinyl (sound deadening).  Interior is
ready for paint which I hope to do over the winter so I can finally get her
wet next season.  The big job for spring will be installing everything on
deck.  I have found my fellow Algergers to be a great resource, patient,
understanding and allot of fun at a party.

Regarding holding tanks, I have been told even SS doesn't hold up to urine
and only polypropylene will do the job.  I have started the conversion of
the areas under the aft end of the V-berth into tanks holding about 18
gallons each, one for holding.  Depending on trim after the barky is fully
loaded, I could abandon the 30 gallon tank forward (or fill it only for
bluewater sailing) and use other the new tank for water.  Or, keep the
forward water tank and put fuel in the other new tank (I have moved the 11
gallon diesel tank from the starboard cockpit locker to aft of the engine
and under the cabin sole).

I have, filled in the shelf holes in the bulkhead, fiberglassed the edges so
they are rounded, added baffles and built plywood covers.  Next step is to
coat the interior with some stuff called SaniTread which is an elastomeric
paint with polypropylene.  I will coat the inside of the covers, install
while wet (with 2nd coat) and screw down the edges which will make then
removable but not without some effort.  I also thought of installing access
ports (to check fluid level and seasonal clean out) but need to make sure
they won't cause leaks.  The manufacturer assures me it will stand up to
urine, poop and diesel (not necessarily together) but only time will tell.
It is very flexible; their web site has a picture of a wicker basket coated
with the stuff and filled with water complete with a baby duck swimming
therein.  If it doesn't hold a seal while flexing then, pull out the nose
plugs.

The plan is to run the piping through the bulkhead to the head or hanging
locker.  Brass/bronze piping seals better with the SaniTread than plastic.
I think it was George Dinwiddie who sent me a great link
(http://www.boatbuilding.com/article.phpstory=MarineSanitationFactvsFolklore
&query=sanitationto) on marine sanitation that pointed out the importance of
ventilation.  I am contemplating a forward vent running to the side of the
hull (high) in the rhode locker and an aft vent in the head area running
either out the hull (in harms way because that's the fat part) or cabin top;
both 3/4" or even 1" in diameter.

Of course, the pre-launch list is long and I might go with a port-a-potty
until the higher priorities are finished.  Best of luck with your
restoration, sometimes the seems the fun never stops.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40°29.2864'  W79°54.2202'

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)

Roger Kingsland
Managing Partner
KSBA Architects
N40°- 27.83'  W79°- 57.99'