[Public-list] Reattaching Teak

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 10 07:43:08 PST 2005

Peter; Very nice pictures. Were the winch bases original equipment? What are they made of? Are they attached to both the wood coaming and to the deck? If they are "hollow", could one cut a hole tthru the coaming and use the space within the hollow winch base for storage?

On #303 Emotional Rescue, our fiberglass winch base is open on both the front and aft end to allow water to pass thru.

Ed. Schroeder

Peter Staehling <staehpj1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
I plan to take off the teak to do the initial
refinishing where that is reasonably convenient. I
noticed that the garboards look like they were either
bedded with a lot of some kind of white compound or
caulked all along where fiberglass meets teak.

My approach would have been to just put boatlife where
the screws go through the fiberglass. What is the
proper approach?

BTW: If anyone wants to see what Aurora looks like I
put up a few pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~aurora554/index.html

Pete Staehling