[Public-list] deck repairs

jim mennucci quest433 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 18:26:29 PST 2005

Wow!  are you sure its hull number 554?  boats in this serial number range
usually have really solid decks.  looks like a lot of seriously rotting
core.  Number of ways to attack the problem.  You can do piece-meal repairs
which is a lot less time consuming or do a complete replacement.  Best bet
may be to estimate the amount of rotten core.  You can use a hammer to do
this.  Hit the deck...if the deck's solid the blow will produce a sharp
crack, if it rotten below there will be a dull thud.  Put an X where the
thuds are, when done you can estimate the precentage of rotten core and
assess how much work lies ahead.  There's alot of Albergers with experience
working on rotting cores so keep the questions flowing.

Jim Mennucci