[Public-list] deck repairs

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Nov 16 19:10:42 PST 2005

jim mennucci wrote:
>> george dinwiddie wrote:
>

>>> No.  In 1973, during the first "oil crisis," Whitby seemed to be
>> skimping on the resin.  And some of the resin they did use seems very
>> brittle and cracks around the corners.  At least I've found evidence
>> of that on Calypso, #543.  The hull, though, is solid as ever.
>

> Your right george--I know you've been futching with your decks for
> years,  I always thought most of the boats with bad decks are in the
> 400's.  So your saying the boats built during the oil crisis in '73 have
> also have deck problems--just as severe?

Probably not as severe, but not something to ignore.  My problems are
much worse because I procrastinated, looking for time to do the whole
job.  Doing it a bit at a time works better for me.  And most of the rot
(as opposed to dry delamination) is the result of leakage at bolt holes.
  Sealing all of those with epoxy goes a long way to protecting the deck.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash