[Public-list] deck repairs

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 17 08:51:35 PST 2005

Jim;
    Mine is #528 and I replaced the whole deck and I know that  Candy Cane has
had the deck done  and she is #583. The problem  on #528 did not appear to be
poor or skimpy  resin, but poor sealants around through deck fittings and no
attempt to seal balsa core when exposed, like around inspection ports in the
cockpit sole or cowl vents on the foredeck. There was core under the stantions
in #528 as well and I did not think the arrangement around the chainplates was
particularly effective at keeping water out either. It seemes as if there were
different pattern of core as the labour of the day saw fit.
    The fuel crises was really 1974 as we were travelling the world that winter
and remember it well. (I tried burning #2 gas in a VW beetle in New Zealand
because it was cheaper than their #1 gas but I did  not realize their #1 gas was
only 87 octane. We ran out of power in the mountains on the south island and
ended up getting to the top of the hill at about 10,000 feet in first gear!)
Don Campbell   #469 and #528