[Public-list] Knotmeters, GPS, Etc.

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 03:50:54 PST 2005

Since the GPS reads speed over land while the knot
meter reads speed through the water, where current is
involved the readings can be quite different.  I
usually care more about when I will get to my
destination so GPS always made sense to me, but if you
were more concerned about speed through the water, the
knotmeter or the calculation using the card may make
more sense for you.

OTOH: I always thought it was kind of cool that a
paper card and some saltine crackers could do the same
thing as an expensive piece of elecronics and probably
a lot more reliably.