[Public-list] exhausrt

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 22 06:24:35 PST 2005

Dan,
On #133 the hot exhaust pipe from the engine manifold is black pipe wrapped in what I thought was asbestos cloth.  As Michael mentioned the clamp is just to keep the end of the pipe wrap in place and does not hold the pipe to the manifold or the muffler.  As you know I have the Grey Marine in #133 as well.  The original set up used a 'hot' exhaust system.  My muffler is cast iron and sits in the aft lazerette.  The muffler is great for cooking eggs while under way.  On our maiden voyage, not knowing any better I stowed the shore power cord in the aft lazerette.  We sailed most of the way home, but had to motor part of the way.  We found out the hard way that the muffler also get very hot as it melted the vinyl insulation off the shore power cord. On my boat there is NO guard to keep items away from the muffler, not a good design.

Most folks have upgraded to some type of water muffler 'cool' exhaust system. Of course with Electric power your don't need to worry about that now.

Michael

dan walker <dsailormon at yahoo.com> wrote:
as i slowly go about removing my graymarine,( mike lehman told me to think long and hard before doing things)so i am moving very slowly, but any way. the question is, what is the exhaust hose made of . it looks like it is something wrapped by some cloth which i wonder if it is asbestos.
can i just cut the hose or do i need to work it off the fitting. if asbestos and i cut i know i will need to have dust masks etc
thanks in advance
dan
rascal 145