[Public-list] Replacing the Atomic 4

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 27 10:33:40 PST 2005

David Parkes wrote:

> I've just bought an Alberg 30 (my previous boat was a Contessa 26; the
> A30 seemed like the logical next boat).  Can anyone tell me if a Volvo
> Penta MD7A is a suitable replacement for the Atomic 4?
> David Parkes
> Halifax, Nova Scotia
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Villo Marmei" <marmei_v at pathcom.com>

Dear David,
                I replaced my Atomic4 with a Sole Diesel 26 HP. Having
had the engine for one season, under varying conditions including
pushing through Dodd Narrows an hour early (! My mistake) I have nothing
but praise for this splendid little engine. The footprint is smaller
than the Atomic and the top of the engine is lower and flat in the
engine "box" which makes maintenance very easy. Not inexpensive, I
admit, but I don't regret the decision one bit. The Sole is a Marine
version of Mitsubishi, put out from Spain. That's my two cents! Jonathan
Whittingham.