[Public-list] Transom numbers

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 30 04:55:13 PST 2005

Just to add to the confusion.  Some states require that the owner add transom numbers in the HIN format to boats that for one reason or another did not have them.  For example I had to add one to Isa Lei when I registered her.  In this case she is a 1980 boat that was made and delivered in a foreign country.  State assigned numbers will start with the state postal code.  To the best of my knowledge Maryland only requires this when the boat was made after HIN's went into effect, other states may differ. When banks and insurance companies come in the game - all bets are off.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid.

Dwight D. Eisenhower