[Public-list] Keel Problems

James Schueler jschueler at familyempowerment.org
Wed Nov 16 08:22:40 PST 2005

Hello all,

Getting back to some of the discussion concerning the keel and bilge, I
also have seen that the fiberglass on the bottom of the bilge in my
boat, just above the sand layer, is coming apart. The entire forward
section is separated from the port side and, just aft of that area, a
piece about 5 inches long is entirely gone, exposing the sand below. The
only area that appears to be intact is the rear, about a foot and a half
I would guess.

The question is this: If I were to drill a hole through the exterior of
the keel into the bottom of the bilge in order to allow the accumulated
water to drain, at what point should the hole be drilled and at what
angle? I don’t like drilling holes if I don’t have to, especially in the
bottom of the boat, but this appears to be necessary. Still, I’d rather
get it right the first time so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Schueler
‘Oddyseus’ #170