[Public-list] Chainplates/bolts

p.a.amos at tesco.net p.a.amos at tesco.net
Wed Oct 5 05:58:48 PDT 2005

Dan,I checked mine early this year.Two chainplates were cracked at the bolt holes one had only two bolts in it,the slotted heads of two bolts fell off at the touch of a screwdriver, several of the bolt holes were oval and most of the bolts were threaded up to the bolt head so there was not even 1/4 inch metal holding them. A disaster waiting to happen .I believe they were the original Whitby fixings.All chainplates were replaced and 5/16 bolts with unthreaded length below the head were used.The only sign that there was anything wrong was some rust stains.
Of course yours may be o.k.
Pete
TaitTait #478