[Public-list] repowering

J Bergquist JOHN.R.BERGQUIST at saic.com
Sat Oct 1 08:22:35 PDT 2005

Don-

There are plenty of pleasure boat designs which are of similar size (if
maybe a bit lighter) as our boat and which do not include an inboard engine,
or even an engine at all. You can read Chappelle's book if you don't believe
me. Or read up on L. Francis Herreshoff's designs. Many of them were for
rich people, yes, but there were also many which were for those of us of
more modest means. The 12.5 footer from NG Herreshoff is a good example, if
somewhat smaller. The Buzzard's Bay 25 is of similar length, if much lighter
displacement. Maybe somebody reading this list has or does own one of these
kinds of boats. They are sailboats. Our boats are sailboats too. I'm sick of
thinking of my motor as a requirement rather than an auxiliary.

The luders 44 foot sail training craft at the USNA had no motors. I am not
sure, but I believe that the colgate 26 sail training craft still have none.
Most J-22's have no motors. Most J-24s also have no motor.

The assertion that pleasure boats of similar size and shape to the Alberg 30
did not exist before inboard internal combustion engines is simply not true.
The assertion that they do not exist now is also false.

Modern harbors are, indeed, somewhat different. However, I consider myself
lucky to live in Annapolis, MD. My favorite cruising destinations are
Baltimore, Oxford and St. Michael's. Fortunately all of these harbors are
over 200 years old, and provide large anchorages. I am very comfortable
anchoring and getting off the anchor under sail. I have done this many
times, in many places, in many different wind conditions.

I am lucky enough to keep my boat at a private dock on a wide river, with an
easy approach. I still don't see why an outboard or really ANY motor at all
is necessary for 95% of my sailing. I also don't see why some folks reading
this list seem to think that they know my operating requirements better than
I do.

Listen guys, I may not have been sailing these boats for 30 years, but I
didn't just fall off the turnip truck either. I'm not going to just quiet
down because you are all disagreeing with me about this. I know my boat
pretty well. I know my engine pretty well. I think that there is a lot that
makes sense about outboard propulsion.