[Public-list] chainplates/bolt size

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 5 05:54:07 PDT 2005

We've had a couple of boats up here on the great lakes that have popped a
chain plate right out that I know of. Highly recommend 5/16 to 3/8 bolts -
the size will be determined by the amount of bending you find in your 1/4
machine screws.

The amount of bending will chew up your bulkhead taking them out - thus
determining what size you put back in - you will need to drill the holes in
the same location.

You absolutely should at least replace the uppers - ideally the lowers too.

You will be horrified to see how bent the old bolts actually are - or do
nothing and worry in a breeze.

My advice - change 'em and put backing plates or very large washes in too.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,

John