[Public-list] Anchors

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Thu Oct 6 12:08:09 PDT 2005

I use a 75 pound Mushroom anchor which, after a few weeks, does a nice job
of burying itself in the mud......; wait, no, that's the mooring anchor for
the little boat.  As Guilda Radner used to say on SNL, "Neeeever Mind."

I got a used, 20 pound, aluminum Fortress (dnaforth type) anchor at Bacon's
last year.  The flukes can be adjusted to two angles with one being better
for mud.  Only problem is I forgot which one.  They (special anonymous
committee in the know) say the advantage of aluminum is same holding power
but lighter, so I got the same weight (as the charts say should be used for
A30 size boat) but allot bigger.   The shaft is 36" long and the fluke bar
(or whatever they call that thing at the bottom) is 30" wide.  I might have
to get a bigger boat with a locker large enough to hold my A30 anchor.

Roger Kingsland
Managing Partner
KSBA Architects
N40°- 27.83'  W79°- 57.99'