[Public-list] Anchors

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 07:44:52 PDT 2005

Ok, George.  Scope:  Pretty much by definition,  my minimum scope is
enough to lay my second bit of chain  on the bottom, plus depth of
water, plus height of bow roller above surface, say  about  2 boat
lengths in 7 feet of water--a little more than 8 to 1.  Strange how
these things work out.

The worst I've ever had to deal with was a tropical storm some years
back,  with gusts to 40 or 45 Kts (50-55 on the bay) for about six
hours.  I  was alone in Indian Cr, on the Northern Neck of VA, with
about 110 feet out.  Not restful, as the boat would veer to the end of
its scope and lay over in the gusts, but was otherwise fine. An Alberg
will stretch 5/8 nylon rather tight in 40 kts.  I had decided not to put
out a second anchor, because I figured if it got any worse I could motor
in the gusts and take up some of the strain--and I didn't want to run
the risk of making a mess of both anchors if the lines fouled each
other.  I am glad the storm blew through during the day.

I think there are three or four more topics in there somewhere!
Rob