[Public-list] (no subject)

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 18:27:57 PDT 2005

Hey John, Atalaya,

We're with you!!! I bought Stargazer, #255, in just about one step above
derelict condition, but she needed just about everything aside from the hull,
deck, mast and standing rigging redone. And I did have to replace the upper
shrouds.:)

These boats are worth it.

Re your first two questions,

It seems most people are going with the ForSpar marlon sea cocks these days
as opposed to bronze, with the accompanying plastic through hulls. No
electrolysis problems, and easier maintaince. If you are replacing the through
hulls, make sure to replace the wooden backing plates too if the old ones are
questionable. Bed stuff like that in 3m 5200.

When I got Stargazer, I found the previous owner had moved the batteries up
to where the original gas tank was in the starboard cockpit locker, so I can't
 help you with this one, but I'm sure another A 30 comrade will. :)

Stargazer came with about 4 generations of wiring running through the  cabin,
none of which was good! Quite a job to replace it all. I used Ancor  Standard
Duplex Cable, either 14 or 16 gauge, with heat shrink butt connectors  and
terminals.  I put the bus bars for the forward cabin beneath the aft  end of the
port shelf that runs above the bunk, and the vast majority of the  rest of my
bus bars under the shelf in the aft locker by the port berth in the  main
cabin. Works out nice. I labeled the wires with a small piece of paper with  the
number of the wire written on it, that I then wrapped on to the wire with
clear packing tape. WIth several turns of the tape, this system works nicely.
The master list of the wire numbers with the name of the wire is attached inside
 the door of the locker that is above Stargazer's ice box. Not all the A 30's
 have this locker, but any suitable inside surface of a locker door will do.
:)

Very helpfull to getting behind the engine, the cockpit scupper sea cocks,
and the stuffing box, was an access panel I put in to the forward end of the
cockpit sole. Bomar sells one, it is about 22" square or so. Access is  good.

Good luck, and welcome to the A30 family,

Lee Trachtenberg