[Public-list] Main Hatch Cover Replacement

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Wed Oct 26 09:10:54 PDT 2005

John,

I have a suggestion for your hatch slider as an alternative to several
longitudinal pieces of wood caulked in between.

My wife and I recently purchased Alan Kefauver's boat, Andante.  Alan
built a new slider by laminating fairly thin and flexible wood
alternated with fiberglass to a thickness of somewhere between 1/2 and
3/4 inch (I have not taken it apart so I'm not sure how thick it is).
The slider built this way is extremely strong, I can stand on it without
any flex whatsoever.  The appearance is attractive (although ours
desperately needs to be refinished), an uninterrupted span of whatever
wood you use for your top lamination.  The slider fits under the sea
hood that is installed on our boat.

If it would be of any help, I have the jig that Alan built with which to
laminate the curved part of the slider and would be happy to loan it to
you (or anyone else looking to rebuild a slider).

I believe Alan also built the new hatch boards which sound fairly
similar to those on your boat, I don't have any helpful information
beyond what you apparently already know on those, although if you have
any questions, I can pass them along to him to see if he has any
suggestions.

Andrew Cole
Andante - 152

Message: 3