[Public-list] Main Hatch Cover Replacement

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Wed Oct 26 01:11:52 PDT 2005

I am replacing the sliding hatch cover and the boards that slide into the companionway leading from the cockpit to the main cabin of my Alberg 30 "Trelawney". Has anyone done this before, or knows about this, that could comment? The old ones were made of mahogany. They have been on the boat since I bought it 21 years ago. They could be original equipment. I don't know. The boat was built in 1965. I am planning to have them constructed of solid teak similar to the old mahogany ones. I was wondering what the different designs of hatch covers and boards (I want to say the term is duck boards or something like that) on Alberg 30's are? I am sure there are many different designs and options. The sliding hatch cover on mine is made of 5 planks running longitudinally and framed on the outside and with strips of mahogany adding additional support on the underside and looks to be screwed and glued. There are grooves between the planks on the outside surface on top which is cauked with black cauking. There are two boards that slide into the companionway. The bottom one looks to be marine plywood framed in mahogany and the upper one is mahogany, louvered for ventalation, with screen on the inside. The aft end of the sliding hatch cover on the underside has a hinged hasp that folds down over an eye on the upper duckboard for a padlock to go through. I think I have seen before on other sailboats a strip of metal about one inch wide and several inches long that is somehow attached to the underside of the sliding hatchcover and slides through a slot in the upper duckboard where a padlock can be passed through a hole in the metal strip. This seems to be a great design. There may be a company that makes this type of hardware. Has anyone seen this anywhere. It seems like on what I have seen before the slot was framed in a bronze looking insert inserted into the wood.
I am planning to have the planks on the top of the sliding hatch cover joined together by 1 inch internal spleens with the grain running perpendicular to the grain of the planks to give strength and prevent splitting. I also want ribs running atwartship on the underside.
Any comments would be appreciated.
John