[Public-list] Main Hatch Cover Replacement

Paul Blackburn palblackburn at att.net
Wed Oct 26 15:23:34 PDT 2005

All –

I’m also about to rebuild my main hatch.  The longitudinal boards’ butt
joints have dried out and separated and therefore leak during our very
occasional rains in San Diego.  I could just caulk between the boards, but
to strengthen the hatch, dress up the inside and make it permanently
waterproof, my thought is to screw/nail  3/8” thick teak slats cross-wise on
the inside of the hatch and embed them in epoxy, making the hatch ¾ thick.

As for the boards, I have the same solid and louvered boards as others are
describing plus an additional one that is a frame for a screen.  I’d like to
make:

1) a solid wood or Lexan board to substitute for the louvered hatch board so
that the entire hatch can be closed to the elements – the advantage of Lexan
is that it lets in light on cloudy days and allows the crew to see each
other and monitor what’s happening on the other side; and possibly

2) a Lexan one-piece full-hatch board, possibly with an oval port light
installed to allow for ventilation and the passage of items through the
hatch without opening it, for really foul weather.

Paul

Sea Dance