[Public-list] Laminate/Plywood on boats

mark dierker markdierker at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 17:24:31 PDT 2005

   This is also my understanding.  The biggest
differnce being that all the inner plies are void
free.  This also makes it stronger, more reliable, and
guarantees a smooth even shape if you are going to
bend or twist it.  It may seem trivial (and it might
be)  but sometimes I am shocked at what I see when I
look at the sides of a piece of regular plywood.  I
swear sometimes the number of plies isnt even
consistent.  Not to mention that you can see many MANY
indications of plugs and patches.  And you are just
getting a side view!

   -mark dierker

--- edward schroeder <eddiediver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It is also my understanding that "marine" plywood
> differs from regular plywood in that the inner plies
> are selected so that there are no voids, no
> "football-shaped" inserts, etc. This is so no
> moisture can linger within the plies. It is
> "exterior-type" wothout voids. Exterior-grade has
> glue that is water-resistant to more than the normal
> 10 or 12 alternate wettings and dryings of
> "interior-grade" plywood. Ed. Schroeder; architect.

Mark Dierker
Columbia, MO