[Public-list] Re: Anchors

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 15:19:15 PDT 2005

1.  The weight of chain at the anchor roughly equals the weight of the
anchor, holding it down until it bites.  My experience is that I do not
need more than this, given where I sail.  If I sailed where there was
lots of rock or coral, I would use all chain.

2.  Less weight by 20 feet of chain in the bows when sailing--20 feet of
wet line weighs less than 20 feet of chain by a few pounds.  And,
perhaps more to the point, getting it all aboard is easier on my back.......