[Public-list] Re: Public-list Digest, Vol 476, Issue 2

REDDERHS at aol.com REDDERHS at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 11:01:16 PDT 2005

John Manza,
    I had repowered our Alberg 30, replacing  the Atomic 4 with an Evinrude
9.9 HP, electric start, long shaft  outboard. I used a bracket on the transom
that worked very well. In the up  position the prop was out of the water and
down I never had cavitation problems.  I will have to find the model number for
the bracket, this was a couple of years  ago, if you are still interested
after I finish this message. With the outboard  the noise was a lot less, the
smell was gone, the extra storage area was great.  But, there were other things
gone as well. If you only want to move forward  it worked great. In a good chop
4 knots was not a problem 5 knots were  easily achievable in less chop. If you
needed any maneuverability  in the reverse direction you had very little. It
was extremely difficult to  just back out of the stall. If you had any wind
are current the outboard was of  no use to you. I have since sold the outboard
and used the  money toward the Beta Marine 20 HP diesel that I had installed
for about  $7000. That $7000 is replacing everything from the water intake to
the exhaust  at the rear of the boat.
I guess in saying all this the outboard just did not work for me. On the
other hand, I would surely be willing to help you with any information you
needed about installing an outboard if  you think it will work in your  situation.
Allen
A30 #520