[Public-list] Outboard motors as emergency units

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Mon Sep 12 15:56:18 PDT 2005

I've used my 1976 Evinrude 4 hp Weedless outboard as an emergency backup
engine a few times-- when moving the boat with the engine pulled, and when
the diesel conked out.

With the OB on the inflatable dinghy, and the dinghy tied to the rear
quarter of the Alberg (secured fore and aft), it's a useful method for
moving at low speeds.... As in limping through the marina back to the dock.
Not real great for long distance hauling, I imagine.  Or in waves.

But now the question is, What do I do if the wind dies, the diesel won't
work, and I've run out of OB mix?  Sometimes you just can't win...

Reagrds,
Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham