[Public-list] Outboard motors as emergency units

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Mon Sep 12 18:47:10 PDT 2005

>But now the question is, What do I do if the wind dies, >the diesel won't
>work, and I've run out of OB mix?

Enter my reference to the sweep oar. I've played around
with it a little bit, both on the side and mounted aft (as
a scull). Sculling seems to be best-Lin Pardy discusses it
in detail in one of her books. It takes a lot of sea room
with it mounted on the side because you have to get boat
speed up so the rudder controls torque, if you follow.

Anyway my holdup to using it more is lack of oarlock for
the hughmongous diameter of the shaft of the oar. I intend
someday to sandcast one in bronze. Like I need another
hobby...

I have towed the Alberg around the harbor using a dingy
with oars as a towboat. Once she gets moving that works
well. A chain or some kind of weight in the middle of the
towline to even out the surge of rowing (a catenary), one
could go for miles, in calm.

Michael Grosh